- Bison is lower in calories than either chicken or salmon. That's right. A 100 gram (about 4 oz.) cooked serving of bison is only 143 calories. That's not a typo. A four oz. serving of bison has about half the calories of a snickers bar. Compare that with chicken at 190 calories and salmon at 169. Bison is almost 25% lower in calories than either chicken or fish! So the low calorie choice is clearly the bison meat.
- Bison is lower in fat than either chicken or salmon. It's true. We've been told to cut back on fat, and that the best way to do so was to replace red meat with chicken or fish. But check this out: bison has 2.42 grams of fat per 100 gram serving. Chicken, on the other hand, has 7.41 grams. Chicken has nearly three times as much fat per serving as bison. And salmon isn't far behind at 6.69 grams of fat. Again, nearly three times the fat of bison.
- Bison is lower in cholesterol than either chicken or salmon. Yep. Bison has 82 mg of the artery clogging substance where chicken has 89mg and salmon 84. Not a huge difference, but lower nonetheless. For more than 40 years the FDA has called for a diet lower in cholesterol. Who would have guessed that the path to lower cholesterol goes right through the middle of the bison pasture?
- Bison has more iron than chicken or salmon. Now that's probably not a big surprise to anyone. Red meat always has more iron than other meats. But even so, bison has nearly 1/3 more iron than beef -- what we normally think of when we think red meat.
- Bison has more vitamin B-12 than chicken. OK. You got us here. Salmon does have more b-12 than bison, but look at chicken. Chicken has a pathetic 0.33 mcg while bison has 2.86 mcg. That's nearly nine times as much.
5 Reasons This Red Meat Is Superior To Chicken
If you're going to eat meat, it should be white meat or fish. Right? At least one generation has grown up hearing nothing else. Red meat is bad for you. You'll die if you continue to eat it. Because of the fat, red meat will shorten your life. And how many people do you know who order the chicken -- with a sigh -- because it's the "healthy" choice, when what they've been craving for weeks is a thick, juicy steak, cooked to perfection? Well, red meat eaters, we have good news! The good news is that bison meat (also known as buffalo) is actually better for you -- in almost every category -- than either chicken or salmon. Let me say that again, in case you thought I must have mis-stated it (or lost my mind:) Bison meat -- America's original red meat -- is actually better for you than either chicken or salmon. Here are five reasons why: